Like a sailor


Sometimes the subject line is almost as good and important as the punch line. Today I started the email chain to Natalie, which is why it started in the afternoon instead of the morning.

3:56 PM
Subject: I just realized my throat doesn’t hurt that bad!
Body: And I had to share with someone!!!!!!

I’m obviously easily excited about the little things. The day before had been spent kind of complaining about it to her via email (and others that I talked to in real life). It was a warning in case I was going to bail on the usual Thursday night routine. If I give her a heads up, then she can’t be that mad when I do flake out. This is a lesson that anyone can take advantage. I go on to explain how I’m not completely better, and I believe the rambling in the rest of the email is evidence of this fact.

But yeah, if I don’t feel 100% (or very close to it) tomorrow, probably going to bail on The Bar :(. Tragedy, I know, but I need/want to be completely better for my cousin’s visit this weekend. Ps. Trying to convince him to watch football on Saturday. We play at 3:30. FYI: Might find a bar in Brooklyn. Something new. Spice it up. Etc.

But if I feel okay, can we still make it an early evening? I’ll make it up to you by going out Friday night (if he’s not too tired from traveling), and Saturday during the day. And other adventures. Gooooooooooood times.

(Notice how I set up a makeup date while also giving myself an out. Genius.)

Ps. I’m watching ‘Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs’. So fucking cute. I can hardly stand it.

Also, in the craziness that is my day, I’m going to have a not-so-fun phone call with my ex tonight. He’s fucking up his life even more than before. Honestly, I think he’ll listen to me. And I think he needs to talk to someone who understands him. Poor guy.

Okay. Back to grading.

Sometimes I swear like a sailor. Sometimes it happens while I’m talking about children’s films. Fucking deal with it. Also, the punctuated, short sentences tend to be how I talk in real life, and I love that it can be conveyed through text.

Even though I bounce from topic to topic, dropping bombshells about the ex and expressing my love of movies, sometimes Natalie will only focus on one aspect of said email. Her reply is just that.

4:21 PM
Well then. Funny you say you’re feeling better because I definitely woke up with a sore throat. Went to the doctor today and took the afternoon off. Anyway, you can’t bail on The Bar tomorrow. I need some stress relieving flirtation. Come on. 2 beers?

So psyched to meet the cousin! We will definitely show him a good time. When does he get in?

Keep me posted and keep resting so you feel 100%.

It’s like she didn’t even read the second half of the email! I can’t really blame her though. We all get a little boy crazy sometimes, and she focused on the part of my message that would lead her to the boy. We did end up feeling well enough to go to the bar. I believe it was one of those nights where we stayed later than we intended and most likely had more than two beers. And we went out the following evening as well. Stayed until bar closing time. The cousin watched football with me on Saturday. We drank and adventured all day that day. Actually, I think saying all weekend would be more accurate, as he and I had more adventures that Sunday that Natalie did not partake in. Details in the next post since I, too, had to wait for email to find out why she did not answer my phone calls and/or join us that Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment