Jet Fuel


At this point is has been nearly a week that Natalie has been staying with my roommates and I. She works all day. I pretend to work all day. It is a great setup. Since she is a guest in our home, she is without keys to the apartment. I do what any good hosting friend would do and send her a “here’s my plan for the day” kind of email in the morning. When I say “morning”, I mean my morning, so more like her afternoon.

11:04 AM
Soooooooo text me whenever you’re done at work or whatever. I’m going to get groceries on the way home or something.

Mundane. Boring. Not the best email. Unless you are Natalie and you pick up on the procuring groceries part of the email. As a response, I get an email full of information and topic changes. Note: the lack of paragraph breaks proves how these emails just flow right out of our fingertips.

11:10 AM
I’m suspecting today will be a LONG day so don’t feel like you have to wait around for me aka feel free to go home and cook me dinner upon my arrival. Just kidding! Although that would make you the ultimate wife and I would rethink divorcing you for your roommate…just a thought. But anyway, I am assuming I will get out of work around 6 or 7. Oh and P.S. know how I was complaining that I was falling asleep at work. Well this morning I was rather tired and then in the break room I found coffee called “jet fuel” and guess what… it really is jet fuel! I only had one cup and I am wide awake and ready to go. Think that’s bad for my heart or something? Oh well, I’M AWAKE!
Anyway, good luck with your errands and keep me posted on your location and I will do the same.

This exchange is extra great. Why? Because it is caffeine-fueled rambling! And it ends with a very sweet husband-like message. And yes, for the record, I did make dinner that night. I was not lying when I concluded my response email with “ULTIMATE WIFE FOR THE WIN!!” because not only did I mention cooking dinner, I also threw in more wifely duties for myself.

11:15 AM
Decided I’m cleaning my room on Saturday. And I might do laundry tomorrow before I go to campus. If you have anything you to throw in, let me know.

Some people were just made to be great friends. Or wives. Or both. Not sure which. Regardless, the offer was extended, and how could she refuse?

11:21 AM
HAHAHA The best part is all I really need to wash is underwear. And possibly my PJs. That’s so boy of me, except for the frilly lacy part. BE PRODUCTIVE AND GO! AKA stop watching ‘Weeds’, slacker.

If you are a fan of ‘Weeds’, then you probably understand exactly where I was coming from. I had mentioned in the previous email that I could not do anything for the day until I had finished the episode. It’s so hard to not watch the new episode when it is sitting there right in front of you! Lucky for me, and rest of the world, I can get work done while I watch ‘Weeds’. Well, sometimes. This was one of those times!

11:24 AM
Weeds over! And so worth it! Did this emailing and eating while I watched! Multitasking! My tea must be kicking in! It’s my version of jet fuel!

I have noticed from all of this emailing that my use of exclamation points increases with increasing tea consumption. Jet fuel will do that to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment